Tuesday 18 October 2011

Making my own Vanilla Extract

Homemade Vanilla Extract


I love to bake.  So I also make my own vanilla extract.  It is really easy.  I bought some vanilla beans from ebay and made these.

Ingredients - a few vanilla beans + vodka/rum

a few vanilla beans + vodka/rum, then cut open the vanilla bean.  I have used
1 1/2 beans for each bottle of liquor.  Scrap the vanilla seeds, then immerse the seeds and
cut vanilla beans into the bottle.   



Give the bottles a good shake every once in a while. Store in a dark and cool place for two months or longer.  Top it up too.


On the right, is the vanilla extract that I have made 2 months ago.


Vanilla Sugar

I also make my own vanilla sugar by putting split vanilla beans and sugar into an airtight container. I use the sugar for baking, sprinkle on cereal and for my special vanilla flavoured coffee or tea.

Ingredients - a few vanilla beans + sugar


Split up Vanilla beans and seeds buried in sugar



Enjoy   ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment